On the corner of Woodmead Road and Silver Street there’s a house that had a very special role in World War II. In 1944 the house was home to ‘C’ company of the 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st United States Infantry Division. ‘C’ company, commanded by Captain Victor H Briggs, was part of the assault force led by Lieutenant General Omar Bradley on Omaha beach on D-Day, 6th June 1944 in Normandy France.
A commemorative plaque to the right of the front door reminds us of our Allies’ contribution to the D-Day push. The Americans suffered 2,400 casualties at Omaha on 6th June, but by the end of the day they had landed 34,000 troops whilst under heavy fire.
The plaque includes a flag holder which is hung with a poppy wreath every 4th July and the United States flag is flown for the whole day.
So how does the flag get there? The Lyme Regis Society holds a U.S. flag and in the early morning of every 4thJuly ensures that Lyme Regis pays tribute to our American Allies.